The New York Academy of Art admits students who demonstrate excellence and a high level of commitment to their work. Master of Fine Arts applicants are encouraged to attend an Academy open house event and participate in a portfolio review.
New York Academy of Art
212.966.0300 x 962
Applicants are encouraged to attend an Academy open house event and participate in a portfolio review. For more information on attending an open house or scheduling a tour of the Academy see Visit the Academy. Applicants that attend an Open House will receive a $20 discount on the application fee.
All applicants for the MFA program must submit the following:
- The application form and an $80 non-refundable application fee. Please make check or money order payable to New York Academy of Art. If a check is written for you by someone else, be sure your name appears in the memo line. International Applicants may pay by International Money Order or by a check drawn from a United States bank.
- A one-page statement of educational objectives and career goals indicating why you believe these will be advanced by study at the Academy. Applicants are encouraged to discuss work in the portfolio and indicate how study at the Academy will progress individual development.
- A portfolio of no more than twenty images arranged in chronological order and accompanied by a printed slide script (see sample slide script here). The portfolio should represent your best work, indicate your major interest and direction, and demonstrate your ability; at least half of the images should represent work done within the last twelve months, and all should be from within the last three years. Those submitting images of sculptures should include no more than two views of each sculpture. The Academy recommends each applicant submit 5 figure drawings as part of the portfolio.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit work on CD that can be read by both MAC and PC operating systems. Images must be in jpeg format (without any text overlay on images) and no larger than 1600 pix in any direction, image resolution must be between 72 and 100 dpi and each file must be less than 1MB.
- Applicants submitting slides must have the slide number, applicant name and orientation of the slide located on each slide. Slides must be arranged chronologically in a slide sleeve.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant's work; letters from academic professionals are strongly recommended. Letters must be signed and sealed in an envelope. Letters may be sent with the application or directly from the recommender.
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate colleges attended. Official transcripts are documents sealed in an envelope issued by the institution that bears the signature of the Registrar and the seal of the institution. If you have attended more than one post-secondary institution, a transcript is required from each one. Transcripts may be sent with the application or directly from the institution.
All application materials should be sent to:
New York Academy of Art
111 Franklin Street
New York, NY 10013
FILING DATES & NOTIFICATION
Applicants have the option of submitting their completed applications by one of two
submission dates for fall admission and will receive notification by mail no later than six
weeks from that date. The schedule for the annual admission cycle is as follows:
|Filing Date||Notification||Deposit Due|
|February 1||March 10||April 1|
|April 15||May 5||May 25|
Above schedule indicate postmark dates.
TUITION DEPOSITSThe Academy requires an $850 non-refundable deposit from accepted applicants to
confirm their place in the MFA program. The deposit will be deducted from the first
semester tuition bill. For more information on tuition click here.
Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 212.966.0300