The New York Academy of Art holds a unique month-long Summer Residency Program in New York City for talented undergraduates. The program is open to current US and international undergraduates, either enrolled in an art program or with a demonstrated talent in fine art. Students admitted to the program will have the opportunity to work in an Academy studio, take Academy classes and exhibit at the Academy at the end of the residency. The program runs two sessions from June 4 – July 1 and July 9 – August 5. Students must select their preferred session on the application form. Students in the Summer Undergraduate Residency Program have the opportunity to hone their artistic skills as well as their critical eye in this unique and immersive experience.
The SURP is intended for talented undergraduates who are eager to taste life at the New York Academy of Art and to delve into the New York City art scene. The program serves as ideal preparation for students interested in pursuing an MFA after their undergraduate degrees, as well as students who wish to experience a unique opportunity in an inspiring creative environment.
All students in the Summer Residency study five courses designed to explore theories and techniques of contemporary figuration:
- Contemporary Art History
- Dialogues in Painting: Traditional Materials
- Drawing: Exploration of the Human Form
- Sculpting the Figure: Perceptual Modeling
- The New York Art Scene: Museums, Galleries, Artist Studios
Students are encouraged to take full advantage of the New York art world and have the opportunities to visit artist’s studios and major exhibitions that may serve as inspiration for their personal studio practice. SURP faculty and the Academy community will facilitate this exploration with recommendations for events and happenings each week. You can learn more about the program from one of last year’s residents here.
ADMISSION AND FEES
Students may apply to one or both sessions. Applicants must indicate their preferred session on the application form. Acceptance to the Summer Residency is competitive and based on portfolio review.
Tuition to the summer residency is $3,750 for four weeks. Program fees cover:
- Apartment-style dormitory housing in New York City*
- Studio fee for space at the Academy
- Courses at the New York Academy of Art
- A Metrocard for public transportation
- Private tours of museums, galleries and artist studios**
|Cost of Attendance*|
*Residency students are responsible for admission fees to museums and galleries, which are not covered in the tuition and program fees.
**Those accepted to the program who require housing and transportation receive a $450 discount. Discount cannot be applied to tuition fees and those receiving full-tuition scholarships.
Academy Merit Awards range from $500-$3,000 and cover tuition and fees for participants. The Academy grants three residency participants in each session a full-tuition scholarship in the amount of $3,000. Full-scholarship recipients are responsible for housing and transportation fees of $1,200. All applicants are automatically considered for scholarships based on the quality of their portfolio.
Applicants are required to complete and submit the following through the online application form by March 15. Click here to begin your application.
- Online application form
6 to 12 portfolio images of your work in JPEG format.
- Personal Statement
A one-page artist statement describing the nature of your work and your interest in the summer residency program.
At least one letter of recommendation from an instructor or advisor.
One copy of your most current college transcript (official or unofficial).
For more information, contact the Department of Continuing Studies at 212.842.5968 or email@example.com
2016-17 IMPORTANT DATES
|Application Deadline||March 15|
|Deposit Due||April 20|
|Final payment of tuition||May 15|
|2017 Session 1 June 4 – July 1
||2017 Session 2 July 9 – Aug 5
|Arrive in N.Y.||June 4||July 9|
|Classes Begin||June 5||July 10|
|Classes end and studio move out||June 30||August 4|
|Check out of dormitory||July 1||August 5|
- Palette: paper, glass or wood
- Palette knife
- Support: canvas or panel, smooth surface is recommended (approximately 11×14, 12×16 but no bigger than 18×24). Additional surfaces may be supplemented.
- Acrylic gesso for priming surfaces 2-3 inch painter’s brush or foam brush for application (optional)
- Medium: linseed oil*, Gamsol (odorless mineral spirits)*
- Two jars with lids for medium use/storage
- Brushes: assortment of sizes, natural or synthetic hair filbert or flat brushes (any soft hair brushes would work)
- Paint: titanium white, burnt umber, yellow ochre, ivory black (or cold black), red ochre, hansa yellow(PY97)**, quinacridone magenta(PR112)**, phthalocyanine cyan(PB17)**. A few additional paints may be supplemented.
- Paper towels or rags
- Masking or artist tape
- Drawing tools: sketch book (medium size or bigger sketch pad recommend) and pencil or charcoal, eraser and sharpener
- Sculpting tools: Please bring any small sculpting tools that you are comfortable with. A few tools will be suggested at the beginning of class.
*For students traveling to NYC by airplane, Gamsol, linseed oil, liquid mediums and other supplies may be purchased at art supply stores near the Academy.
**These colors are not necessary for weeks 1 or 2.